Strange Town are looking for freelance workshop assistants to work alongside our leaders for one or more of our new youth classes in theatre and film running April – June 2022. This would be a great opportunity for somebody looking to enter the world of youth theatre.
As a company, the aim at Strange Town is to enable young people to fulfil their creative potential and offers opportunities in the performing arts to young people aged 5 to 25 in Edinburgh. Whatever your background or experience, they believe everyone has creative and artistic abilities. They help young people to recognise and develop these abilities through peer and professional encouragement, participation and example.
The assistants will be responsible for:
– Assisting in the planning and delivery of theatre and/or film workshops across a term
– Supporting the leader as necessary throughout the workshop
– Taking a record of attendance
– Assisting with any COVID-required cleaning before and after sessions
– Joining in with and leading group games and exercises
They are looking to launch three new classes on Friday afternoons at the Broughton St Mary’s Church on Bellevue Crescent, Edinburgh.
These three classes are:
– A 5-7s Introductory Drama Class: a gentle introduction to the world of drama, with a focus on games and skills. This class would run from 1.30-2.30pm for one hour.
– An 8-12s Drama Skills Class: a chance for those new to drama to settle in or with an interest in developing drama skills in addition to acting, such as writing, costume and technical design, without the pressure of end-of-term performances. This class will run from 2.45-4.15pm for one hour and a half.
– A 12-18s Film Class: a class focused on all aspects of screen work, including acting for screen, editing and filming your own short films on handheld devices, and writing screenplays. This class will run from 4.30-6.30pm for two hours.
Please email a CV detailing your relevant experience with references and a short introduction about yourself to James Beagon at email@example.com using the title Freelance Workshop Assistant. When applying, please indicate whether you wish to be considered for all the classes or specify the class you are most interested in.
Rate: £9.90 per hour
Contract: Fridays, eight weeks, 29 April – 17 June 2022
Hours: Dependent on class
– Experience of being in a rehearsal, workshop and/or film environment
– Enthusiasm for working with young people
– Member of PVG Scheme
– Drama Qualifications and/or equivalent creative experience
– Previous voluntary or paid experience working in youth theatre