The Edinburgh Multilingual Stories Festival is a celebration of Edinburgh’s diversity through the Arts. It is curated by three partner companies: Bilingualism Matters at The Edinburgh University, Theatre Sans Accents and the Polish Cultural Festival Association and hosted by the Assembly Roxy. The festival will provide a space and a platform for artists of all backgrounds and horizons in Edinburgh to express themselves as well as to celebrate their belonging to the Edinburgh community.
They are looking to commission a THEATRE artist to collaborate with communities in Edinburgh for six workshops (1 hr workshop/week), to share their own story and practice as well as to create and devise something new with the participants inspired by their experience of diversity. The artist will then be asked to present a work in progress during the festival to show their artistic and linguistic journey.
Festival: 30/11/18 – 2/12/18 at The Roxy Assembly.
Timeline: Artists Briefing: 18/09/18
Community workshops in Edinburgh from 30/09/18 to 11/11/18
Work in progress development -12/11/18 to 26/11/18
Work in progress performance 1 or 2/12/18
Fee: £1,000 per artist for the whole commission (workshops+development+performance+expenses)
Criteria and Eligibility:
– Be over 18
– Residing in Edinburgh or Greater Edinburgh (Postcode starting with EH)
– Open to: Non-native English speakers, native English speakers who speak fluently in other languages,sign language speakers.
– Be available for the dates mentioned above
– Committed to present original work created with and for communities
– Your own artistic practice should already reflect on bilingualism and/or multiculturalism (whether you’re performing in a foreign language or your practice is inspired by a foreign art form etc)
– Have a strong interest in community work
– Have experience in leading workshops
– Be passionate about making the arts accessible to all regardless of linguistic/cultural boundaries
To apply, please send a CV and no more than one side of A4 introducing your practice, explaining why you’d like to take part and giving a brief outline of how you’d like to work with the communities and if there’s a particular project you already have in mind for your commission. Please send this to Marion Geoffray, email@example.com, with the title “EMSF – THEATRE Artist Call Out“. Funded by Awards for All.
The deadline is 5pm, Friday 14 September 2018.