So, you’ve decided to take that first step out into the big wide world and set up on your own – congratulations! We’re delighted that you’ve joined us.
Getting started may seem like a scary prospect at first but this toolkit is designed to provide all the information you’ll need for a smooth start in the sector – whether you’re setting up as a solo practitioner or starting a new group, we’ve got you covered.
Some things to think about when setting up as a freelance practitioner are:
- Have you registered as a sole trader with HM Revenue & Customs or the Revenue Online Service?
- How are you going to keep track of all that sweet income when it comes rolling in?
- Have you got an up to date PVG or Disclosure check?
- Have you got an up to date First Aid qualification (not essential, but good to have in case someone runs into a wall in one of your workshops)
- Have you got suitable insurance organised (also important in case someone runs into a wall in one of your workshops)
- How are you going to get your name out there?
If you’re setting up a new group some useful questions to consider might be:
- Where are your sessions going to take place?
- Who are you going to be working with?
- How are young people going to find out about your group?
- Will there be a fee for participation or will you apply for funding to cover all of your costs?
- If so, where will you find the funding?
- What kind of projects will you work on and what will make your group unique?
- What other groups exist in your area already?
A more comprehensive list of questions to consider when setting up a new group can be found in the selected resources below.
Once you’ve had a look around the toolkit, feel free to get in touch with us to Book an Advice Session to talk through your ideas – sometimes all you need is a sounding board to get everything in order.