The Chrysalis festival is a platform for ambitious performance by young theatre-makers. It showcases emerging talent, sparks critical debate and challenges perceptions of youth theatre. Performance applications for Chrysalis 2018 are now open (see below for full information).
“Marvel how youth theatre has changed and see how the future looks through their eyes” (The Guardian on Chrysalis)
Chrysalis 2018 will be staged at the Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh, and was curated with the support of a consortium of industry specialists. The festival is the only platform of its kind in Scotland and offers a new experience for audiences new to youth theatre arts.
“Nothing but warmth, enthusiasm, and a glow of creative energy” (The Scotsman)
The festival aims to:
- Positively enhance the public perception of creative work by young people
- Attract new audiences to youth theatre arts
- Inspire and raise the aspirations of Scotland’s youth arts sector
- Stimulate critical discussion
“Combining the vitality of innovative youth performance with the polished production of the professional theatre’’ (The List)
2018 Performance Applications Open
- Performance participants should be aged 14-25.
- The work presented must be created within the two years prior to application.
- A live performance of the work should be available to view between March and June 2018 (The Chrysalis Consortium selection panel may consider viewing production recordings in some circumstances).
- Applicants must demonstrate strong advanced preparation in their application and supporting material.
- Applications should be a joint effort between the group leader/practitioner and young theatre-makers.
- Applicants must be YTAS member organisations or willing to become members if selected.
Note: If your group does not fully meet these guidelines but your production matches the aims and criteria for the festival, we would still welcome an application and be happy to discuss your work further.
Deadline: Mon 5 March 2018, 5pm